CommercialCafe recently released an updated version of our 2020 ranking of top U.S. cities for women working in STEM.
Here are some highlights:
- New York City ranked first in the nation for women working in STEM. The local STEM sector here accounts for nearly 216,000 jobs, 31.8% of which are held by women.
- San Francisco came in second. Here 27.9% of STEM jobs are held by women and the median annual income for women in STEM is $101,852— the third-highest in the U.S.
- Western U.S. cites accounted for 8 out of the 10 best cities in our ranking. San Francisco was followed by Seattle and San Jose. Los Angeles rounded up the top.
- Chicago was the only other non-western city to make the top 10 list, placing 7th. Roughly 30,000 women work in STEM here, the city being second only to NYC in this respect.
For this study, we looked at 12 metrics, including:
- the percentage of STEM jobs out of the total of all jobs
- the number of STEM jobs held by women,
- the median annual income of women residents who work in STEM
- ranked 120 U.S. cities with populations of 200,000 or more.
Make sure to also check out the 4 regional rankings, and the interviews with women STEM professionals, included after the regional rankings.
Find the full study, including the methodology, here: https://www.commercialcafe.com/blog/top-us-cities-representation-women-stem-2021/